Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty and nutritious A great dish to warm the tummy in the winter!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 head green cabbage (3 -4 pound head)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄3 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup ground lean pork
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Combine half the onion and garlic, all of the carrot and 1 cup of stock in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Add remaining stock, the wine, tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Simmer over very low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage rolls.
- Put the whole head of cabbage in a large pot of boiling water.
- Boil for about 5 minutes until leaves are loosened.
- Remove cabbage and carefully peel off 12 leaves.
- Return these to the boiling water and cook until soft, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from pot and drain carefully so they remain whole.
- Chop enough of the remaining cabbage to make 1 cup.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add remaining onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon thyme and the marjoram and stir briefly.
- Combine this mixture with the ground meats, rice, and chopped cabbage.
- To this add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
- Form meat mixture into 12 ovals.
- Cut large rib from each of the 12 cabbage leaves.
- Put 1 meat oval on each leaf and roll up half way.
- Fold 2 ends in and finish rolling Place in large casserole dish.
- Cover with tomato sauce mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour.
Fixed this for dinner tonight and the family all agreed it is one we definitely want to have again. I mixed up the recipe and put all the onions in the broth at the beginning and had none left to mix with the meat. It was still excellent. Try a little spoonful of sour cream on the top when served--yummy.