1/1 Photo of Cabbage Stuffed With Two Meats
1 hr 20 mins
Tasty and nutritious A great dish to warm the tummy in the winter!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/3 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 head green cabbage (3 -4 pound head)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/3 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup ground lean pork
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1Combine half the onion and garlic, all of the carrot and 1 cup of stock in a large saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are very soft.
- 4Add remaining stock, the wine, tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 5Simmer over very low heat.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage rolls.
- 7Put the whole head of cabbage in a large pot of boiling water.
- 8Boil for about 5 minutes until leaves are loosened.
- 9Remove cabbage and carefully peel off 12 leaves.
- 10Return these to the boiling water and cook until soft, about 5 more minutes.
- 11Remove from pot and drain carefully so they remain whole.
- 12Chop enough of the remaining cabbage to make 1 cup.
- 13Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- 14Add remaining onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 15Add remaining garlic and cook 1 minute.
- 16Add 1/2 teaspoon thyme and the marjoram and stir briefly.
- 17Combine this mixture with the ground meats, rice, and chopped cabbage.
- 18To this add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
- 19Form meat mixture into 12 ovals.
- 20Cut large rib from each of the 12 cabbage leaves.
- 21Put 1 meat oval on each leaf and roll up half way.
- 22Fold 2 ends in and finish rolling Place in large casserole dish.
- 23Cover with tomato sauce mixture and cover with foil.
- 24Bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Stuffed With Two Meats
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.0
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 713.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground lean pork