Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This looks elegant served as an appetizer, side, or even main dish. For convenience you can use the bagged shredded 'coleslaw' cabbage.
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy coffee creamer (any milk substitute may be used)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Defrost phyllo.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium flame heat oil.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Saute until soft and golden about 8-10 minutes.
- Gradually add cabbage stirring frequently until soft and wilted approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in mustard, caraway, salt, and pepper.
- Add non-dairy creamer and egg.
- Mix well to combine.
- Prepare margarine in a bowl with pastry brush.
- Grease a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan.
- arrange phyllo with the short sides across.
- Brush each with margarine and sprinkle 1 TBs. bread crumbs.
- Repeat until the last sheet is brushed with margarine.
- Place cabbage on top 1/3 of phyllo about 4 inches from top and sides.
- Fold long sides in, covering part of the filling.
- Fold top side down.
- Carefully fold down again until all is in the roll.
- Brush ends with margarine to secure.
- Place seam side down.
- Mix egg white with water and using a pastry brush baste top sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 40-45 minutes
- Let stand 30 mins afterward before cutting.