1 hr 5 mins
This looks elegant served as an appetizer, side, or even main dish. For convenience you can use the bagged shredded 'coleslaw' cabbage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy coffee creamer (any milk substitute may be used)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1Defrost phyllo.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 3In a large skillet over medium flame heat oil.
- 4Add onions and garlic.
- 5Saute until soft and golden about 8-10 minutes.
- 6Gradually add cabbage stirring frequently until soft and wilted approximately 10 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8Stir in mustard, caraway, salt, and pepper.
- 9Add non-dairy creamer and egg.
- 10Mix well to combine.
- 11Prepare margarine in a bowl with pastry brush.
- 12Grease a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan.
- 13arrange phyllo with the short sides across.
- 14Brush each with margarine and sprinkle 1 TBs. bread crumbs.
- 15Repeat until the last sheet is brushed with margarine.
- 16Place cabbage on top 1/3 of phyllo about 4 inches from top and sides.
- 17Fold long sides in, covering part of the filling.
- 18Fold top side down.
- 19Carefully fold down again until all is in the roll.
- 20Brush ends with margarine to secure.
- 21Place seam side down.
- 22Mix egg white with water and using a pastry brush baste top sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 23Bake 40-45 minutes
- 24Let stand 30 mins afterward before cutting.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.5
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 753.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 10.2 g