Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A fantastic vegetarian main dish that goes well with glazed carrots and your favorite cooked grain. I also enjoy making this strudel into individual servings, egg roll style to serve as appetizers, or a side for a bowl of soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded fine
- 1⁄2 cup tart apple, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 5 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add cabbage, apple, onion, raisins and salt.
- Cook over medium high heat 7 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Add sour cream, mixing well.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on that sheet.
- Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons bread crumbs.
- Continue layering with 4 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter and sprinkling with crumbs.
- Place cabbage mixture in a 2 inch wide strip 4 inches from the short side of phyllo shets, and 1 1/2 inches from long sides of phyllo.
- Fold 1 1/2 inch sides over cabage.
- Fold 4 inch side over cabbage and continue rolling up in jelly-roll fashion.
- Place cabbage roll seam side down; brush with remaining butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Oh gosh this is a great cabbage recipe Geema! just the filling by itself was so good, I plan on using the filling for other recipes also, this is fabulous, really the only change I made was I added in some fresh garlic while sauteeing the cabbage and other ingredients, thanks for sharing this great recipe hon!...Kitten:)