Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Recipe was from Vegetarian times in 1998. Note Leftover Amaranth does not keep.
- 1⁄4 cup amaranth
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons broth or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 cups shredded white cabbage
- 2 small leeks, white part, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- To pop amaranth: Place heavy small skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of amaranth and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 15 seconds or until most of the seeds have popped and turned white. Remove and set aside. Do the next tablespoon. Do this one tbsp at a time.
- Heat a wok over med high heat. Use water, broth or oil.
- Add cabbage, leeks and bell pepper and cook, stirring constantly, just until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the Braggs and sprinkle with lemon juice. Transfer to warm serving dish and sprinkle with popped amaranth. Serve right away.