Recipe by Mr.Blitzer
A lovely little recipe from the '365 a day' cookbook. Make sure you buy good quality sausages and make a large amount. you can save the rest for dinner the next day!
- 350 g lean sausages, highly seasoned
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 350 g young green cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 liters pork stock
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- 1 loaf crusty bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the sausages in water to cover generously and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until firm.
- Drain and, when cool enough to handle, remove the skin and slice thinly.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, leek and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the tomatoes, cabbage, garlic, thyme, stock and sausages.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook, partially covered for 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into warm bowls, sprinkle over the parmesan and serve with crusty bread.