Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another hearty low-fat soup from Lynn Fischer's "Fabulous Fat-Free Cooking" I've altered it slightly, adding the use of fresh herbs for additional flavor.
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 1892.72 ml low-fat vegetable broth
- 1182.95 ml shredded green cabbage
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 118.32 ml diced lean ham
- 4.92 ml crushed dill seed
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Tie together the sprigs of sage, parsley and bay with cooking twine to make an herb bundle; set aside for later use.
- Coat a large non-stick pot with cooking spray.
- Add the onions, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the onions start to turn color.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until golden.
- If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablspoons water to prevent sticking.
- Add the vegetable broth, cabbage, potatoes, ham or bacon, dill seed and herb bundle.
- Cover and bring to almost a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- If a slightly thicker soup is desired, mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot with the back of a large wooden spoon.
- Remove the herb bundle and stir in the vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve each bowl garnished with freshly chopped parsley.
I didn't have a turnup so I substituted diced rutabaga instead. I also increased the water from two cups to four. I like this soup very much. gabe geber
This was very good. I fried the bacon a little first (right in the pot) before I added the other ingredients. It made the bacon a little less mushy, and I think added a little more bacon flavor to the finished soup.
Very good and really easy!!!