Recipe by David Hawkins
I have read many recipies for cabbage soup and I know there is no end to the varieties. I have however come up with a small twist that I think folks might like. This core soup is a key component of our weight loss program right after the holidays, it helps to melt off all those delicious cookies and pie!
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 whole cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can mushrooms
- 28 ounces v 8 juice (Low Salt)
- 28 ounces vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces tofu
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onions, garlic, celery and Jalapino pepper, finely slice the cabbage and shred the carrots.
- Saute the onions garlic celery Jalapino pepper and carrots in olive oil. Just soften, cook literally for about 1 minute at the most. Spice these vegetables with all the remaining spices (no liquids yet).
- Add the cabbage to the pot and then pour in the stock, the V8 Juice, the mushrooms, fish sauce, tomato paste, and hot pepper oil.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve as is, or serve over fresh cubed tofu. Optionally add small pieces of chicken or even small meatballs. I recommend adding these outside the basic cooking because while satisfying to the palate, the fats change the flavor of the base soup dramatically.
- If you are really a fan of spicy, change the V8 to the spicy flavor, and eliminate the salt in the recipe.