Recipe by MarieRynr
oh my, but this is good! A real keeper. Hearty enough to be a main-course soup, just serve with a good hot and crusty bread and a simple salad.
Top Review by SweetSueAl
Marie Alice, I am so glad no one could see me scraping my soup bowl in order to get the last drop of this delicious soup! This recipe combines three of my favorites, soup, cabbage, and cheese! I used Emeril's Seasoning and omitted the dill and cayenne. I used homemade chicken stock (try recipe #55282, it's ridiculously easy and exceptionally rich). I worried about the consistency when I reheated it, but it turned out fine. This is going on my comfort food list. Thank You, MarieAlice! Sue
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried fine herbs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat, until partially crisp. Pour off all but 3 to 4 TBS of the fat.
- Add the chopped onions and cabbage to the pan. Saute for 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Stir in potatoes, then chicken broth, fine herbes and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are quite tender.
- Just before serving add the cheeses slowly, stirring until melted, but do not allow to boil. Add remaining ingredients and adjust seasoning if required.