Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the perfect soup for a cold day.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced cored green cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 lbs apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- chopped fresh thyme
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter with oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and onion; saute until vegetables wilt and brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the thyme sprigs or dried thyme and sauté a minute longer. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsps. butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-higih heat. Add apples and saute until brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove thyme sprigs, if used from soup. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with apples and chopped fresh thyme and serve.
Pretty good. I love cabbage in soup, and I love apples, so this was a good combination. I didn't have fresh thyme, and I don't think the dried quite cut it so I'll be sure to use fresh next time! I would also omit the butter and just use olive oil, as I thought the butter tasted too heavy for this soup. I will definitely make this again though! Thanks!