Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a variation of my beef and barley vegetable soup. The consistency is almost like a stew so you can go either way by adding or reducing the amount of vegetables, or of course keep it as it is. I prefer it with the ingredients I have written.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 28 ounces tomatoes (diced)
- 2 cups water
- 3 (10 ounce) cans beef consomme (preferably low sodium)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup (preferably low sodium)
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cabbage, coarsely cut
- 1 potato, diced
- Cook turkey, and onion drain any fat.
- Simmer all liquids and spices for an hour.
- Add ground turkey and remaining ingredients.
- Cook for another hour or until the vegetables are to your liking.
- This is even better the second day!
This is delicious soup. I made it exactly as stated and it turned out perfectly! My family loved it as well. I had it the next day for lunch, too, and you're right, Chef at Heart, it is even better! Thanks!