Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 head of cabbage (medium to large)
- 1 large onions or 3 small onions, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can small tomato paste
- 8 cups water
- 3 -5 strips thick slab bacon
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles beer (not dark)
- 3 -5 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar (large)
- fresh black pepper, Ground
- * Note: As an option, Caraway Seed may possibly be substituted and added If so, reduce or eliminate Paprika and add 3 to 7 cloves finely chopped Garlic .
- Core and coarsely chop cabbage. Core and dice Green Bell Pepper.
- Chop Onions and Shallots.
- Slice Bacon in medium to small pieces and lightly fry in large Dutch Oven or stock pot leaving fat in pan.
- Remove and save Bacon.
- Lightly saute Onion and Shallots to caramelize. Add and emulsify Paprika and Cumin.
- Deglaze by adding Beer.
- Add Bay Leafs and reduce by one half.
- Add Cabbage and saute, stirring fr equently.
- Add Bacon, Water, Sugar, Salt and Black Pepper.
- Simmer, covered, one hour.
- Add and mix thoroughly Tomato Paste and diced Green Bell Pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with brown (Pumpernickel) bread and butter.
Ravishing and delightful, very easy to make.