Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious Soup! I have made this for more than 50 years. Always a hit!
- 6-8 slice bacon, cut in 4 pieces each
- 44.37 ml butter
- 2 vidalia onions or 2 sweet onions, peeled
- 1 head green cabbage, cored,shredded fine
- 2 fresh carrots, scraped,chopped small
- 2 can tomatoes, crushed or cut up
- 2 can campbell chicken broth (Or 2 Knorr Chicken Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 3 cups Hot water)
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare vegetables.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy pot or Dutch Oven over medium-low heat, cook bacon until browned.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Reserve bacon drippings for another use, if desired.
- Add butter to pot.
- Melt over low heat.
- Add onions and stirring, saute over medium heat until tender and somewhat translucent-- 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add Cabbage and carrots.
- Stir in and saute-- also stirring-- for about 5 minutes.
- Do NOT overcook.
- Cabbage should be just wilted good and soft.
- Add tomatoes and juice from cans.
- Add Chicken Broth or Bouillon Cubes dissolved in Hot water.
- Thin with additional chicken broth or water if desired.
- Cook covered at a slow boil for about 20 minutes.
- Add dark brown sugar and black pepper.
- Top with crumbled crisp bacon.
- Serve hot.
I made a couple of changes like reducing the brown sugar to 2 tablespoons and adding in a finely diced jalapeno pepper for a little heat. This was very good and comforting on a cold fall evening. It does reheat well and something I can see myself making again.