Recipe by CountryLady
From "The Oy Of Cooking" by Susie Weinthal - true comfort food! Adjust the sugar and/or lemon juice to your own personal taste.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs or 2 lbs beef flank steak, strips,preferably from a jewish butcher
- 2 large beef bones
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 cabbage, preferably savoy,thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the meat and bones into a stockpot with enough cold water to cover, plus an inch.
- Bring to a boil and skim off the foam that will rise to the top.
- Add the onions and tomatoes, squeezing them with your hands as you put them into the pot to break them up.
- Be careful they tend to spit.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Stir in the cabbage, salt, and pepper and cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Stir in the lemon juice, brown sugar, and tomato paste.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, taste& adjust for seasoning.