Recipe by evelyn/athens
Cabbage Soup? Yes! You won't believe how good this is. This can easily be served at a dinner party too. So good.
Top Review by Shari2
Evelyn this is definitely a keeper in my books. I didn't have any caraway seed but it still tasted great. Very easy to make, just have everything chopped up ahead of time. I made it this morning and have already had 2 bowls. Thanks for a great soup recipe.
- 1 small cabbage, cored and chopped fine
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large leek, white and green parts,chopped,washed thoroughly,and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dill
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan of boiling, salted water, blanch cabbage for 2 minutes and drain.
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over moderate heat until crisp.
- Add leek and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add stock in a thin stream, stirring constantly, and stir in cabbage, carrots, potatoes, wine, sugar and caraway.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth and return to pan.
- Stir in half and half and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in dill and season to taste.