Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 46 ounces plain tomato juice
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cleaned skinned and shredded
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- Mix everything together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes (longer if you prefer your veggies to be soft).
- Refrigerate until cool.
- Serve chilled with sour cream.
This is a very good soup. We served ours warm with soup crackers. Low in calories & fat. Thanks Tracy & Jeff.
I am a big fan of cooked cabbage and anything tomato, so this recipe was just what I needed. I did not have tomato juice, so I used puree and beef broth. It was wonderful. I served it over brown rice to give it some bulk. I also threw in a little bit of pastrami, which I chopped finely. It turned out great!
For years, I've made a soup just like this with V8 instead of tomato juice. For variety, add small, cooked meatballs or cubed pieces of leftover meatloaf. This is a great soup!