Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From SOS Cuisine. I made a double batch and froze part of it so didn't add the milk until I served it. I like it better without the milk and my dbf enjoys it with the milk!! :)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 carrots, shredded
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons butter, unsalted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups 2% low-fat milk, partly skimmed
- Prepare the vegetables: thinly slice the onions; finely chop the cabbage; shred the carrots.
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetables, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then cover and cook 25 min over very low heat.
- Pour in the broth, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15 minute Pour in the milk, then adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Made this for the family today. Followed the recipe except i pressure cooked chicken and added that to the soup, which worked out nicely since i got to use the broth. I could tell it was going to be good by how well it smelled, but it tasted even better than i imagined. Very good!
So yummy! I made this on a very very cold January day and it really hit the spot. It was made to the recipe but I did add some leftover ham that I need to use up and for us the whole thing was a wonderful homey, snug and warming lunch that tasted great. So simple to make using the food processor to do the shreding too. It was put together in a few mins. :D
This is yummy, inexpensive and easy vegetable soup! I used fat free half and half in place of milk to get a richer flavor without tons of fat. The only thing I added was a little minced garlic. It makes for a nice warm lunch. Thanx!