Recipe by AshleyNeicole
This is my favorite soup to make! It's great for any season and is so customizable. The measurements are rough guesses as I don't EVER measure when making this recipe. It's that easy! You add your ingredients to your own tastes and season as you go. You can also easily cook this meal in a slow cooker. So, beware, my measurements might not be accurate at all, but as you make this soup, you will quickly see that measurements aren't necessary.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
Made in my crockpot I came home to a good hot soup on a chilly damp night! I omitted the mushrooms, added the carrots and potatoes. I can see how versatile this can be. Use up what you have and it will turn out great. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I prefer to used the diced ones seasoned with oregano and basil) or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (I prefer to used the diced ones seasoned with oregano and basil)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, cut style
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- chicken broth (enough to cover)
- 1 cup red potatoes, cubed (great for the winter) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (not a carrot fan, but they go good with the soup) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all vegetables except salt and pepper into a slow cooker or soup pot.
- Season with oregano and basil to taste.
- Cover with chicken broth. If using a slow cooker, cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- If using a pot, bring contents to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low to medium for at least 30-40 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste as soup cooks.