Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my favorite soup to make! It's great for any season and is so customizable. The measurements are rough guesses as I don't EVER measure when making this recipe. It's that easy! You add your ingredients to your own tastes and season as you go. You can also easily cook this meal in a slow cooker. So, beware, my measurements might not be accurate at all, but as you make this soup, you will quickly see that measurements aren't necessary.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I prefer to used the diced ones seasoned with oregano and basil) or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (I prefer to used the diced ones seasoned with oregano and basil)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, cut style
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- chicken broth (enough to cover)
- 1 cup red potatoes, cubed (great for the winter) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (not a carrot fan, but they go good with the soup) (optional)
- Combine all vegetables except salt and pepper into a slow cooker or soup pot.
- Season with oregano and basil to taste.
- Cover with chicken broth. If using a slow cooker, cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- If using a pot, bring contents to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low to medium for at least 30-40 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste as soup cooks.
Made in my crockpot I came home to a good hot soup on a chilly damp night! I omitted the mushrooms, added the carrots and potatoes. I can see how versatile this can be. Use up what you have and it will turn out great. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.