Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This savory soup would really hit the spot on a rainy day. Serve it with some fresh bread and cheese! It is a quick, simple recipe from Taste of Home’s special 2005 holiday collection. This makes a lot, perfect for a big get-together, and I think it would freeze well.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups chopped cabbage
- 4 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat in Dutch oven or soup kettle, until meat is browned.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to boil, and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Discard bay leaf before servings.
I made this soup on a cold winter day-- it was quick, easy and very tasty. I left the cabbage in slightly larger pieces and also put in some carrot chunks. It made a great hearty meal!
I make this recipe for several year's now, I also got it from the Taste of Home magazine.( Oct./Nov. 2001 ) It deserves five star's because it's very fast to prepare and has a wonderful tast. For me 2 or 3 can's of diced tomatoes are enough. To get more liquid I add a little water or chicken broth. I think every cabbage lover will like it.