Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty stew even children love! One of the few ways my kids will eat cabbage!
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 4 -6 boiling potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 dashes red pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- Cut sausage into bite-size pieces and brown in stew pot.
- Cut cabbage and potatoes into bite-size squares.
- Add to stew pot with sausage.
- Add water, wine, ketchup, salt and pepper and Tabasco.
- Simmer just until potatoes are done.
- (Don't overcook or potatoes will fall apart).
After my first taste, this was a four-star recipe. But the more I ate, the more I wanted! It gave me a nice, warm feeling on a cold winter night. A few small changes I made were to add diced onion and garlic while browning the kielbasa, and to substitute chicken stock for half the water.
I made this a few nights ago, it was great! I didn't have any red wine, so I substituted a good quality balsamic vinegar. Loved it! Thanks for posting.
surprisingly good for so few ingredients. I used vegetarian chorizo and added red pepper flake and texas pete instead of tabasco. comfort food.