Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another very easy & yummy southern dish that will serve 6 as a main course or as a side.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs green cabbage
- 1 lb sausage, crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- cracker crumb
- Shred cabbage & cook 15 minutes in salted water.
- Cook sausage & remove from skillet.
- In same skillet, cook onion until clear.
- Set onion aside & save drippings.
- Beat eggs & add to milk.
- Layer sausage & onions in casserole.
- Repeat layers & pour egg mixture over all.
- Top with crumbs & drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons sausage drippings.
- Cover & cook at 350F for 45 minutes.
I used turkey sausage and onions mixed together after cooking the shredded cabbage in microwave, steamed it. I then added the egg milk mixture, then the cracker crumbs. It was fast and a great dish for people who don't want to spend time in the kitchen. I agree with anothe reviewer, it is the flavor of the sausage that determines the flavor. I think the (apple onion flavored sausage they have now would be great in this recipe.)
Great comfort food! I have always loved the combination of sausage, onions, and cabbage, so I had to try this. I used Applegate Farms Italian sausage links, which I sliced. I steamed the cabbage rather than boiling to preserve more of the nutrients. The type of sausage you choose will determine the predominant flavor of the casserole. Thanks for posting!