Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Inspired by the light, summery flavors of Vietnamese Salad Rolls, these Cabbage Salad Cups bring crunch and a flavorful sauce to delight your tastebuds. Feel free to chop the veggies in a food processor if you have one, and adjust the chili pepper flakes to your heat preference in the sauce. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 medium green cabbage
- 1⁄2 carrot, grated
- 2 red radishes, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 ounces rice noodles, thin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons ponzu sauce, lime citrus dressing and sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, tomato
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add chicken and boil 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow chicken to cool to room temperature when done.
- Meanwhile, separate 8 large cabbage leaves from cabbage –gently cut into the large core at the bottom to ease them out leaf by leaf. Gently remove the thickest part of the cabbage rib/stem by cutting a V in the base of each leaf and removing it.
- Prepare rice noodles according to package directions and allow to cool to room temperature. Toss with the 1 T sesame oil.
- From remaining cabbage, shred to 1 cups worth. Combine shredded cabbage, carrot, radishes, and green onions in a medium bowl and mix. Reserve any excess cabbage for another use.
- When chicken is cooled, shred meat, discarding skin and bone.
- Add shredded chicken and rice noodles to veggie mixture and mix well.
- Prepare sauce by whisking together all of the sauce ingredients. Adjust chili pepper flakes to taste.
- Place the 8 large cabbage leaves onto a serving platter. Spoon chicken veggie mixture equally into each of the 8 cups.
- Drizzle each with sauce and serve.
Excellent! With a little tweaking this would be 5 stars. Like using a different vessel and some ginger and cilantro/mint to the filling would take this over the top! I did use romaine lettuce for the wrap in place of the cabbage. I can see if the cabbage choice was a tender napa but the contest called for straight up green cabbage. Just didn't want to wrestle the head of cabbage to remove leaves. I omitted the 1 teaspoon sesame oil and didn't miss it. Used cellophane noodles in place of the rice It`s what I had and what we enjoy. I did cut the sugar in half. Used the full amount of pepper flakes. Used a hand grater for the carrots and radishes. This is so quick to put together. Thank you for posting this refreshing, light, tasty low carb meal.
I liked the flavor and the texture inside the cabbage leaf, but would have liked a less crunchy vessel, maybe a lettuce leaf to hold it all together. The cabbage leafs were too crunchy and firm. You could easily use prepared rotisserie chicken to save time, but I realize for this contest, the recipe had to use chicken drumsticks. Good flavors!