Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Dedicated to Charishma and all those trying to lose weight! A great low cal salad to be had as an accompaniment to the main dish. Or, throw in some grilled chicken slivers and have a complete meal by itself.
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into long,fine strips
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and cut into fine strips
- 1 small tomatoes, finely sliced
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- Mix all the vegetables.
- Add the sugar and pour the lemon juice over the vegetables.
- Toss the salad to coat well.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate till needed- (can be made upto 4 hours in advance).
- Just before serving: In a small pan, heat oil till very hot.
- Remove from fire and add the mustard seeds to the oil.
- Twirl it around so that all the seeds sputter.
- Pour over the salad.
- Add salt, toss the salad and serve immediately.
Pretty salad, crunchy and tasty. I don't have any black mustard seeds. I don't even know what they are. So I added the olive oil along with all the other ingredients and didn't heat it at all. Next time I'll go ahead and add a bit of mustard one way or another. I believe Honeybeee means green bell pepper, which I used, but I also put a bit of fresh hot red pepper in, just because I had some.
Thank You for dedicating this recipe to me. So sweet of you, I really appreciate.... I made this this afternoon and I enjoyed it with a dollop of low-fat plain yogurt! It was my meal! I had absolutely nothing else, just this! It was so refreshing and so tasty - the burst of lemon flavour in it is what I particularly cherish:) I omitted the sugar and the seasoning- no oil, no mustard seeds either.. I preferred it without the seasoning(Just a personal preference as I try to cut on oil, sugar,etc. wherever I can and it does me a whole lot good). I did not see your note of using a green capsicum and I used a red one. Went well. Also, I grated the cabbage and it was a good idea, IMO. My cousin had come over for lunch this afternoon and she enjoyed it as well. My mom, dad, cousin and me, really really enjoyed this. I did not really refrigerate it - I made it just few minutes before our lunch as all the ingredients were already in the refrigerator, it was cold and tasty. Thank You, once again, for sharing and dedicating!
From where I come from, a green pepper is referred to as a capsicum. Zaar, while passing the recipe has added a 'red' to it! Please note that the 'red capsicum' is nothing but a 'green pepper.