Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Vegetarian cabbage rolls with walnut make this dish unusual. The paprike adds just a little dash to the mix. This recipe was given to me by one of my daughters school mates. I hope you enjoy the meatmess version.
- 1 large cabbage
- 4 -5 onions, chopped
- oil (for frying)
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 3 -4 ounces crushed walnuts
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ground paprika (to taste)
- Rinse the cabbage and separate the leaves.
- Prepare the filling by frying the chopped onions in oil until they are soft.
- Add rice.
- Fry with the onions.
- Add water (as necessary) to prevent sticking.
- When softened add the ground paprika and walnuts.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in a little water (just enough to soften them for folding to make the rolls).
- Place some of the filling on each cabbage leaf and roll up, folding the ends in.
- Place the rolls in a pot.
- Make the sauce in a saucepan by blending the flour with the oil, fry until flour is brown.
- Add the paprika.
- Add plenty of water, stirring until the sauce is smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls so that they are covered.
- Cook slowly until soft.
I make a similar recipe though add some diced apple to the rice mixture and use a marinara sauce vs. this chef's creation. Brown rice in this makes for a hearty meal.
If you wanted to increase fiber & protein, a few cooked lentils in the rice mixture would work nicely.