Recipe by englishsettlement
I'm trying to get the calories down and the nutrition up. This is inspired by spinach pie and replaces phyllo dough with super healthy cabbage.
- 1 head green cabbage
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 1 (6 ounce) package fat free feta cheese
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the stem as close to the cabbage as possible and then score an X on the flat area to help let the cabbage steam. Steam the cabbage in a covered pan until a fork slips easily into the cabbage (20-40 minutes).
- Meanwhile thaw spinach and squeeze out all the water.
- Mix the spinach, feta cheese, onion, egg white, dill, red pepper flakes, and red pepper and set aside.
- When the cabbage is nice and soft carefully peel away each leaf, spoon some mixture onto the leaf and roll up.
- Pour the olive oil in a pan with a lid.
- Lay the rolls in the pan so that the end of the leaf is face down in the pan. That way gravity holds the roll together.
- Pour in the 2 cans of vegetable broth, cover, and simmer on medium for about 20 - 30 minutes.
- If you have any cabbage leftover cut it up and throw that in to cook also.