Recipe by Riverlivin'
I found this Russian recipe online and thought it sounded pretty good and wanted to give it a try. Servings are just a guess since I'm unsure of actual servings/serving sizes. Feedback welcome.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked raw rice
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole head cabbage
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and start a large pot of water to boil.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice, meat, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix well. Remove from heat.
- Take the cabbage and pound the core end against the countertop to loosen. Remove core and discard.
- Place the whole head of cabbage into the boiling water. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove softened outer leaves and discard. Separate the large leaves from one another and trim out the thick center stem from each one.
- One at a time, put 1 rounded tablespoonful of the meat & rice mixture into the center of a leaf. Roll up leaf and place seam side down into a large greased baking pan. (Do not make more than 2 layers).
- Combine the beef broth and mushroom soup and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours.