Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was a great dish, meat free. Points 5.
Make and share this Cabbage Rolls With Brown Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon corn oil margarine
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- celery seed
- 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 28 ounces tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cook brown rice and set aside.
- Remove core from cabbage, leaving head intact.
- Place cabbage into a large pot and cover with boiling water.
- Cover pot partially and cook over medium heat 10 minutes; drain.
- Remove 16 to 20 outer leaves and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a large skillet over low heat; sauté carrots and onion 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, 1/2 cup broth, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin, and celery seed.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in cheese.
- Trim thick center vein from each cabbage leaf.
- Place 3 to 4 tablespoons filling in center, roll to enclose filling completely.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Arrange cabbage rolls seam-side down in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Pour tomatoes with juice and remaining 1 1/2 cups broth over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake 1 hour in preheated 375-degree oven.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer, basting frequently.
- Place cabbage rolls on a serving platter.
- Pour pan juices into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Stir into boiling liquid and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve over cabbage rolls.