Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A relatively easy to prepare dish.
- 2 heads cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 ounce raw rice
- 3 ounces onions, minced
- 1 ounce carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole egg
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 3 ounces brown sugar
- 3 ounces tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Core cabbage and blanch for 12 minutes in boiling salted water.
- Remove, cool, and separate large leaves; reserve for formula.
- Mix beef, rice, vegetables, seasonings and eggs.
- Blend thoroughly, but keep mixture as light as possible.
- Scale 2 oz portions of meat mixture.
- Place on flattened cabbage leaves, folding ends of cabbage leaves to the center and rolling securely but not too tight as the mixture will expand due to the rice.
- Prepare 12 units.
- Butter a baking pan and place cabbage rolls close together in the pan.
- Combine the balance of the ingredients.
- Add additional water to barely cover cabbage rolls, if required.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove cover and bake 20 more minutes.
- Serve with 1 oz sauce.