Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are a healthier version of traditional Polish cabbage rolls. If you don't like barley, you can use rice. I make these with turkey to keep the fat content down, but you can use any ground meat.
- Fry onion, add mushroom and spices and cook until softened.
- Cook barley according to package directions.
- Mix fried vegetables with raw meat and cooked barley. If using, add soy sauce to taste.
- Boil whole head of cabbage in hot water until leaves turn transparent and soften. Remove leaves, one layer at a time and trim off hard area near the core.
- Layer cabbage leaves on bottom of lasagna dish (I use the ones that fall apart or are too small to roll).
- Fill cabbage leaf with filling, roll up and place seam side down on top of cabbage leaves in lasagna dish.
- If serving same day, pour tomato sauce over cabbage rolls and bake at 350F for approximately 40 minute.
- If making ahead, bake without tomato sauce at 350F for 20-30 minutes. Day of serving, pour tomato sauce over cabbage rolls and bake for another 20 minutes.