Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My Cabbage Rolls are "nearly" world famous. Lots of sauce makes these so moist and delicious. Add as much heat as you like, invite some friends and enjoy.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (remove casing)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 2 green peppers (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes (or 3 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 -2 large cabbage
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 16 ounces pasta sauce
- 10 ounces tomato soup
- 10 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- Boil water and drop cabbage in whole.
- Gently peel off leaves.
- Mix filling mixture together, fill leaves place in roasting pan, side by side, seam side down.
- Mix together tomtoes, pasta sauce, tomato soup and tomato sauce.
- Pour over cabbage rolls and shake pan to evenly distribute.
- Place mushrooms over top and extra hot pepper flakes.
- Cover with lid and bake at 325 -350 F for about 2 hours.
This was the my first attempt at making cabbage rolls and my family is sold. I put the veggies in the food processor to hide them from my picky eaters. The results were perfect. Bonus recipe: freeze left-over filling. When needed thaw, then mix into 1 bag of chopped for slaw cabbage. Spread into a crock pot and top with a jar of your favorite pasta sauce. (I suggest the mushroom. This works great in the crock pot all day on low.
These were delicious! I had a lot of leftover filling though. Thank you for posting. Cabbage rolls are one of our favorites.
My best girlfriend Pam is always nagging me to make my famous cabbage rolls, I made these instead and these are so much better than mine! Thank you!