Recipe by Kermit in Huntsville
My Cabbage Rolls are "nearly" world famous. Lots of sauce makes these so moist and delicious. Add as much heat as you like, invite some friends and enjoy.
Top Review by Becky B.
This was the my first attempt at making cabbage rolls and my family is sold. I put the veggies in the food processor to hide them from my picky eaters. The results were perfect. Bonus recipe: freeze left-over filling. When needed thaw, then mix into 1 bag of chopped for slaw cabbage. Spread into a crock pot and top with a jar of your favorite pasta sauce. (I suggest the mushroom. This works great in the crock pot all day on low.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (remove casing)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 2 green peppers (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes (or 3 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 -2 large cabbage
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 16 ounces pasta sauce
- 10 ounces tomato soup
- 10 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and drop cabbage in whole.
- Gently peel off leaves.
- Mix filling mixture together, fill leaves place in roasting pan, side by side, seam side down.
- Mix together tomtoes, pasta sauce, tomato soup and tomato sauce.
- Pour over cabbage rolls and shake pan to evenly distribute.
- Place mushrooms over top and extra hot pepper flakes.
- Cover with lid and bake at 325 -350 F for about 2 hours.