Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Slow cooker capable!
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked white rice (cook in beef broth for added flavor)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- First, steam the entire head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water, making sure to cut off the core first. Let the cabbage head boil for about 6-8 minutes -- if you notice leaves separating from the head, you can gently peel away the softened leaves with a long fork. Drain the head of cabbage and peel the necessary amount of leaves when cool.
- Grab a large bowl and combine the rice, egg, milk, onion, garlic powder, ground beef, ground pork, salt, and pepper. Scoop about a 1/4 cup of this mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf and roll them up, making sure to tuck in the ends.
- If you’d like to slow cook them, place the rolls in the slow cooker. If you’d like to bake them, place them in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. If you are using the oven, preheat it to 350 degrees F.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- If using the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. If using the oven, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.