1/2 Photos of Cabbage Rolls
1 hr 30 mins
I've included some techniques to make this a little easier. Freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium cabbage
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground ham seasoning or 1/2 lb ham steak, pulsed fine in food processor
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, approximately
- 3/4 cup rice, cook according to instructions
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1Cook rice according to directions; set aside. This can be done the night before.
- 2Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 3Grease 11x14" baking pan.
- 4With sharp knife cut core from cabbage. Wrap in clean dishtowel and microwave approximately 10 minutes. Begin by pulling off the outer leaves as they just become limp and pliable; set those aside. Replace remaining dishtowel wrapped cabbage in microwave for 5 minutes, repeating the process of removing limp leaves until all leaves have been removed and are relatively soft.
- 5In the meantime, should you need to grind your ham seasoning, place in food processor and pulse until the ham resembles ground beef. It will be a looser consistency.
- 6In large, heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven, fry ground beef and ham together until beef turns brown, breaking up chunks. Allow about 1/4 cup or so of the liquid to remain in the bottom of the pot.
- 7To the ground beef/ham add onions, bell pepper, garlic and cook until vegetables are limp, about 4-5 minutes. Add the parlsey and mix.
- 8Add paprika and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and mix well, allowing it to absorb any liquids.
- 10Add cooked rice and toss until thoroughly incorporated. The mixture should appear relatively dry; if not, add additional breadcrumbs.
- 11Cup each cabbage leaf individually and spoon meat mixture into the center and fold over sides. Place side-by-side each cabbage bundle into prepared pan. Repeat this process until all cabbage leaves are filled.
- 12In a small bowl, combine tomoto sauce and sugar; mixing well.
- 13Spoon a small amount on top of each cabbage bundle; spreading as you go.
- 14Mix beef bouillon cube with 1/3 cup water and pour into corner of pan, avoiding pouring over cabbage and tilting pan to distribute.
- 15Wrap pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Open carefully.
- 16Note: Should you have more rolls than can fit in the pan, prepare additional pan. Should you have more filling than cabbage leaves, place mixture in a greased oven-proof casserole or ramekin. Top with butter and parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.6
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 55.3 mg
- Sodium 382.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 25.9 g