Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Good cabbage rolls.
Make and share this Cabbage Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, until leaves are limp.
- Mix ground beef, rice, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture at stem end of each leaf.
- Roll leaf around beef mixture, tucking in sides.
- Place cabbage rolls in ungreased baking pan.
- Mix remaining tomato sauce, sugar, and lemon juice and pour mixture over cabbage rolls.
- Bake in 350°F oven until beef is cooked, about 45 minutes.
- Using liquid from baking pan, pour into saucepan, mix with cornstarch and water.
- Heat to boiling, cook and stir until begins to thicken. 1-2 minutes.
- Pour over cabbage rolls to serve.
- Faster Alternative: Layer bottom of casserole dish with shredded cabbage, spread meat mixture over top, sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Delicious!
MarySue,This recipe makes me think of my Mom,She made the BEST cabbage rolls in the world,and these taste just like hers.I am so glad I found this recipe,I will be making them often. Thanks so much, Darlene
The flavors of this are spectacular. I loved the filling so much, I'm trying to make a meatloaf out of it tonight!. I used fresh instead of canned mushrooms. I also added a tablespoon or 2 of brown sugar along with the white sugar at the end. It makes a HUGE difference if you brown the meat first, then add the other ingredients and simmer a bit. When I made it a second time, I DIDN'T brown the meat mixture first, and the taste was like a "meat paste". bleck. Couldn't even compare to the first time I made it. This is a permanent addition to my repetoire! DH loved it as well. Especially that it didn't have bell peppers. The only thing I'm doing different next time is I'm making more of that delicious sauce for the end. DO NOT try to replace the lemon juice with apple cider vinegar..I thought it would work when I wanted more sauce but was out of lemons --but it was gross. The lemon gives a very much needed element to the sauce
I made the alternative method in my crockpot. Sans bread crumbs and cheese. I also added uncooked quick cooking rice to the ground beef instead of cooked rice. To the remaining tomato sauce I added a 16 oz can diced tomatoes and another 8 oz can of tomato sauce. I'm sure beef stock in lieu of more tomato sauce would be great too. Cooked on high for 4 hours. We very much enjoyed this one dish meal. Thank-you for posting.