Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice or 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided (more or less, to taste)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- Tear the leaves off the cabbage and cook in boiling water or steam until wilted enough to be flexible. Cool. Mix ground beef, rice, egg, onion, and salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together.
- Form a few tablespoons of the mixture into a cylinder, then roll up in a cabbage leaf. Secure rolls with toothpicks. Combine the soup and tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Place cabbage rolls in the Dutch oven. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.