Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 1 large white cabbage
- water, salt 1 tsp/1 l
- 400 g minced lean pork or 400 g minced lean beef
- 1 onion
- 1⁄8 liter water (from cabbage cooking)
- 1⁄4 liter chopped cabbage
- 1⁄4 liter boiled rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 -2 tablespoon syrup
- butter or margarine
- water (from cabbage cooking, for basting)
- 1⁄3 liter pan juices
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Cut the stalk off the cabbage and cook the cabbage in salted water until the leaves are soft.
- You can carefully loosen the outer leaves as they soften.
- Lift the cooked cabbage onto a large plate to drain.
- Loosen the leaves one by one and chop the small inner leaves for the filling.
- Finely chop the onion and fry in small amount of oil until translucent but not brown.
- Combine the meat, rice, chopped cabbage and seasonings into a smooth mixture.
- If the mixture is too thick, add some more of the cabbage cooking water.
- Flatten the cabbage leaves.
- Lift a good tablespoonful of filling onto the leaf and roll it up tucking the edges round the mixture.
- Place the rolls side by side in a baking dish, pour syrup and a little fat over them.
- Bake the rolls for 1 hour at 200 °C.
- Half way turn the rolls over and baste them every now and then with the cabbage water.
- Strain the pan juices and thicken with flour mixed with water.
- Add a little cream.
- Serve the cabbage rolls with boiled potatoes and lingonberry purée.
good recipe for the Finnish version of cabbage rolls.
Very good, thanks