Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is our "family recipe". These also work well in the crockpot
- 2 medium heads of cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 1 cup rice, not cooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomatoes, canned
- 1 can tomato juice
- Mix rice and meat.
- Beat eggs and add to meat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- In lg pot of boiling water, parboil both heads of cored cabbage.
- Gently remove each leaf as it is cooked.
- Slice off top of core stem on each leaf so you can roll it up.
- Fill each leaf with lg"meat ball".
- Layer tomatoes, sauerkraut, cabbage roll and repeat until all is used.
- Pour juice over all and cook till done.
I've made/eaten "cabbage rolls" before but, this was the first time with the tomatoes and tomato juice. My husband and I thought these were very good. They were even good reheated the next day. We baked ours in the oven at 200 degrees for about 4 to 5 hours. Very good recipe, thanks for posting!!
I'd like to try this recipe in the crockpot, however you don't state the quantity of either tomatoes or tomato juice. Appreciate your help here; thanks.