Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I use to make regular cabbage rolls until I found this recipe. This is just easier.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chopped cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone.
- Drain off fat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage, rice and salt.
- Add meat and mix all together.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Pour broth over meat mixture and bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour.
- Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
The classic standby in lieu of cabbage rolls, pure comfort food for cold evenings, and quick and easy to pull together. Grew up with this and still make it in fall and winter, like just the other day.
This is a lot easier than regular cabbage rolls, and just as good. Thanks for posting.
Tasty and easy. I made a half recipe using double the brown rice (parboiled in beef broth). DH loved it, though I found it a little bit bland and a bit too dry (of course that could have been because of the extra rice). Added some lemon, brown sugar and paprika - made it perfect. Will make again. Next time I think I will add more seasonings and will keep extra tomato sauce on hand to add if necessary.