Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a sweet/sour dish with the flavor of my mother's cabbage rolls.
- 1 lb beef or 1 lb turkey, ground
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2-1 medium head of cabbage (depending on size)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 dash pepper
- Cook beef, onions , celery, and green pepper until done and brown.
- Drain well.
- Sprinkle meat mixture with oats, parsley, salt, and garlic powder.
- Core cabbage and cut into small wedges.
- Place on meat. Combine tomato sauce, vinegar, pepper and brown sugar.
- Mix well.
- Pour over cabbage and meat. Cover and let simmer 20-30 minutes until the cabbage is done. Serve immediately.
- Note: I like to add 1/2 cup Minute Rice, prepared, at the end and heat through.
This is very good. I used sausage though instead of beef or turkey. (I use sausage quite a bit for that "EXTRA" flavor) I too put the rice in.
Excellent and easy! I used tofu crumbles in place of the beef, added Worcestershire sauce like another reviewer and diced tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce and molasses instead of brown sugar. It's a great skeleton and modifications work very well. We loved it; it reminded me of the delicious cabbage rolls my mother made in winter. Thank you!
We enjoyed this tonight. My husband bought a massive cabbage and I've been hunting down ways to use it! I used a bag of Recipe#31008 and just started from direction #3. I used 1 tbsp. splenda brown. We really enjoyed this as a quick and easy way to have cabbage rolls. We had sliced the cabbage so we sort of stirred it all together and served it over brown rice to taste sort of like the cabbage rolls of my husband's youth.