Recipe by shellbee
This comes from Chateline Food and is very easy and economial too. It tastes great. I add a touch of worcestershire sauce and some garlic powder too but feel free to adjust to your preference. I serve this over rice but it says you can also serve it over mashed potatoes or wrapped in a tortilla.
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb pork
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 7 1⁄2 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix or 16 ounces half a cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat a wok or large saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and crumble in meat. Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly until it is almost cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Stir often until flavour delevops, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice green pepper into thin strips. If using cabbage, thinly slice. Add the peppers and cabbage or coleslaw and stir often, uncovered, until cabbage is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if needed.