Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another great tasting soup that doesn't require much effort.
- 1 lb ground round
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked converted rice
- Brown meat in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; drain well.
- Place meat in a 4-quart electric slow cooker; stir in water and next 10 ingredients.
- Cover; cook on low-heat for 8 hours.
- Increase heat setting to high; stir in rice.
- Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Yesterday I prepared this soup and had some for lunch today. What I like is that it's a thick soup that's easy and using ingredients you usually have around. Since I didn't have diced tomatoes, I used ground plum tomatoes and it turned out great. I freeze serving size portions and that way have a variety of soups that I can thaw as I need them. Would make this soup again.
My dh liked this recipe much more than I did. All though I love dill, I did not like it in this soup.On the other hand, my dh not only ate it for dinner, he took it for lunch the next day.