Recipe by Annette in Texas
If you love cabbage rolls, this is the soup for you. This recipe makes a very large quantity and freezes very well.
Top Review by Chris Reynolds
Really tasty soup! I served with French bread, but no rice. There are only two of us, so I halved the recipe and have enough left over for two more meals! Thanks for sharing!
- 2 lbs leanest ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken stock (unsalted)
- 1 large head of cabbage, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- cooked rice (I prefer Jasmine Rice)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, brown the ground beef very well over med high heat; add the onions and garlic, bell peppers and stir over medium high heat for about a minute.
- All at once, add herbs, rotel tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a low boil, then add chicken stock.
- Cook medium low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Then add the chopped cabbage, cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is very tender, taste before adding salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over cooked rice.