Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you love cabbage rolls, this is the soup for you. This recipe makes a very large quantity and freezes very well.
- 2 lbs leanest ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken stock (unsalted)
- 1 large head of cabbage, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- cooked rice (I prefer Jasmine Rice)
- In a large dutch oven, brown the ground beef very well over med high heat; add the onions and garlic, bell peppers and stir over medium high heat for about a minute.
- All at once, add herbs, rotel tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a low boil, then add chicken stock.
- Cook medium low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Then add the chopped cabbage, cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is very tender, taste before adding salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Really tasty soup! I served with French bread, but no rice. There are only two of us, so I halved the recipe and have enough left over for two more meals! Thanks for sharing!
Delicious and satisfying, just what I was craving! I halved the recipe and it still made a ton. I used ground turkey breast, added a little molasses as it simmered, only because the tomatoes tastes slightly metallic to me. Also I served without the rice. I really should keep a pot of this in the fridge since it so healthy and would help curb hunger without a lot of calories. Thanks for sharing a keeper recipe!
This makes a lot. I didn't have green pepper so I didn't add that and used a bag of slaw mix instead of the cabbage. Other then those two changes, I followed the recipe as written. My husband and I really enjoyed it. It was easy to make. I also warmed it up for lunch the next day. Even after hubby ate four bowls, me two and another for lunch, we still had about half the pot to freeze for future meals.