Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A variation on my original Cabbage Roll Casserole! This version doesn't have sauerkraut and has a different taste. May be more appealing to some. This Recipe was found at LowCarbFriends.com and has been modified by me.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups shredded cabbage, see note
- sour cream
- NOTE: Buy pre-shredded cabbage in produce dept., coleslaw mix.
- Brown the beef. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add the salt, pepper, tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the rice.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté cabbage in butter 'til limp.
- Place 1/2 of the cabbage in a greased casserole dish.
- Cover with 1/2 of the rice mixture.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover and bake in a 350ºF oven for one hour.
- Serve with sour cream (OPTIONAL).
- May be refrigerated before baking.