Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Comfort food at it's best!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 10 ounces chicken stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups cabbage, coarsely, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- Discard the casings from sausage; cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over med-high heat; drain off any fat, and transfer sausage to crock pot.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, grate one potato, and dice the other potato.
- Add the potatoes to the crock pot, along with onions, garlic, carrots, chicken stock, tomatoes, dill, caraway seed, celery seeds, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover crock pot and cook on LOW heat for 7-1/2 hours.
- After the 7 hours of cooking, add in the cabbage, parsley and butter, pushing the cabbage down into the liquid; cook for another 30-60 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Really Yummy. I liked that there was more than just cabbage and beef and tomatoes in it, my 5 yr old and 20 month old both gobbled it up. I think I might add more Cabbage next time
This is great! I tagged this recipe in Zaar Tag to use up half of a cabbage in the fridge and was so glad I did, but I admit I cheated a bit by using Italian sausage ground (already out of the casings) and only diced the potatoes (skipping the grated potatoes but used 2 diced potatoes). I also skipped the caraway seeds and celery seeds(out of both) and only used one onion (personal taste). DH loved this and will be bring the leftovers to work for the rest of the week!!! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having often this fall/winter season!