Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I did a search on here and couldn't find one like mine so I decided to submit it. I thought I had found int on here but I must have gotten it from another place. It is a wonderful dish and although a shortcut type recipe, it still give you the flavor and comfort of vabbage rolls without all the extra work. I did tweak it from the original recipe, however. The cooking time does not include the time to brown the ground beef.
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, choppped
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) canhunt's brand diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sloppy joe sandwich sauce, from a 15 oz. can
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean ground beef
- 5 cups cooked rice
- 1 ounce lipton brand dry onion soup mix (from a 2 envelope box)
- 1 cup water
- Slice cabbage (like for coleslaw but a little larger).
- Chop onion and green pepper.
- In large Dutch Oven, cook ground beef with onion and green pepper. Drain.
- Add Rotel tomatoes undrained, 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce and 1/2 c sloppy joe sauce, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Add cabbage a little at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add 1 c water and mix inches.
- Put lid on and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours stirring now and then to check if it's sticking.
- Cook until cabbage is translucent and very tender.
- Then stir in cooked rice and serve in bowls.
- Serve with cornbread, garlic bread or something you like and a salad.