Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 head small cabbage, about 7 cups sliced
- 4 large carrots
- 2 large green peppers, seeded
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 -6 unpeeled tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Chop onions and place along with garlic in bottom of large casserole dish that will hold at least 16 cups.
- Or use 2 casserole dishes.
- Slice cabbage using food processor or shred with a sharp knife.
- It should measure about 7 cups.
- Thinly slice carrots using a food processor if you like.
- Coarsely chop green peppers.
- Finely chop jalapeno peppers.
- Place in a large bowl with rice.
- In another bowl, stir tomatoes and their juice with sugar, vinegar, thyme, salt and dijon mustard until mixed.
- Stir into cabbage mixture using a folding motion, until evenly blended.
- Turn into casserole dish on top of onions.
- Do not stir.
- Cover with a lid and bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Then, stir well every half hour until cabbage is soft and rice in done.
- Then stir in fresh tomatoes.