Recipe by Darlene10
A fast alternative for cabbage rolls.
Top Review by LittleRedChef
We loved this dish! Heeding the warning that it could be too dry posted by another, I used a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes and a small 7 oz can of tomato paste with 2 T of sugar in place of the tomato sauce. I also used some leftover cooked rice I had in the fridge which cut down on the stovetop time. It was aromatic and absolutely delicious. Will definitely make this one again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- sauerkraut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish; cover with 1/2 the rice mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- cover and bake in 350 oven for one l hour.
- If desired you can put sauerkraut on top of the layers.
- Another alternative is to use an equivalent amount of tomato juice instead of the sauce and water.