Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A fast alternative for cabbage rolls.
Make and share this Cabbage Roll Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Brown beef, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish; cover with 1/2 the rice mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- cover and bake in 350 oven for one l hour.
- If desired you can put sauerkraut on top of the layers.
- Another alternative is to use an equivalent amount of tomato juice instead of the sauce and water.
We loved this dish! Heeding the warning that it could be too dry posted by another, I used a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes and a small 7 oz can of tomato paste with 2 T of sugar in place of the tomato sauce. I also used some leftover cooked rice I had in the fridge which cut down on the stovetop time. It was aromatic and absolutely delicious. Will definitely make this one again.
SOOO GOOD and SOOO EASY!
Followed the recipe exactly, baking half in a 8*8 baking pan and the rest I am trying in the freezer to see how it holds up.
New favorite recipe in my house! Will make again for sure.
Thanks for the great simple recipe!
*** I have tried the frozen casserole and it was fantastic, thaw overnight and bake as directed (covered)
We love cabbage rolls but sometimes I don't want to go thru all the work, so this recipe is a wonderful find. Thank you.