Recipe by Tara
This was in a local school cookbook, it is super easy and as good as the "hard work" cabbage rolls.
Top Review by NoDramaMama
This is exactly how I make this, except that I only mix 1/2 a can of the tomato soup into the rice mixture. Then I pour the rest of the tomato soup on in layers like a sauce. I also only do one layer of meat stuff in the middle and end w/ cabbage on top and pour a whole can of tomato soup over the top. I like it to have some sauciness to it, because just like traditional cabbage rolls, we always serve this with mashed potatoes and the sauce is amazing over it! I make this and freeze it quite often. When freezing, I pre-cook the rice and saute the cabbage so that it's mostly cooked. I let it thaw in the fridge overnight and put it in the oven and yumm. Oh, you can also do this in the crockpot :)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded (I use a cheese grater)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat and onion then stir the tomato soup and the rice, salt and pepper.
- Layer half the cabbage in a greased 9x13 inch dish, cover with 1/2 the hamburger mixture, then layer the remainder of the cabbage and rest of the hamburger mixture. (Could use only 1 layer of hamburger between cabbage).
- Bake covered at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.
- Sometimes I sprinkle the top with some grated cheddar cheese and pop back in the oven 5 min until melted.