Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sausage
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- salt and fresh pepper, ground
- 2⁄3 cup yellow rice, uncooked
- 1 dash celery seed
- 1 lb fresh sauerkraut (can type will work)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped, I use the chop button the blender
- Chop cabbage into bite size pieces and place in bottom of large deep casserole. Brown meat, add onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add rice and one can of the tomatoes.
- Mix together well and pour over chopped cabbage. Spread drained sauerkraut on top of meat and rice mixture. Spread the second can of tomatoes on top of kraut top with a dash of celery seed .
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Cover and continue baking for another hour or until the rice is tender.
- This makes a lot, you may want to cut it in half.
- . Served with Italian Cheese Topped Bread and a Caesar salad.
- Very filling.