Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is comfort food with a capital "C". If you like sauerkraut you'll enjoy this. Just the smell of it cooking in the oven is soothing. Now in 91 ckbks, as of 4/14/06, and has 4 great reviews!
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup rice or 1 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb sauerkraut (bag or jar)
- Chop cabbage into bite sized pieces, discard the core.
- Place cabbage in bottom of large deep casserole.
- Brown the meat, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and one can of the chopped tomatoes, including the juice.
- Mix together well and pour over the chopped cabbage.
- Spread the sauerkraut on top, including the juice.
- Cover with second can of chopped tomatoes and juice.
- Bake uncovered in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- Cover and continue baking for another hour or until rice is tender.
Fabulous and oh so easy! I didn't change a thing in the recipe. Thanks so much for giving us an easy way to achieve the classic cabbage roll taste without the work!
we do love sauerkraut, but that and tomoatoes were all we could taste. It was easy to make, but not worth the effort for the final result. sorry